Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Minority Expert

The director of our system has identified some key areas she'd like her librarian staff to develop expertise in, I'm inferring so that should a patron come in and need specific help, or should the administrative office need research in a specific area, there is already a person who is up to date on the trends in that area. There are the usual subject areas of "law," "genealogy," "business"... Then there's "current trends in services to the disabled" and "current trends in minority services."

: D

I've given myself the tasks of:
  1. doing a literature review
  2. reading a couple of recently published books
  3. follow up with a review of the major multicultural groups' activities out of ALA, PLA and TLA
This first entry on this subject will be my bibliography list, which I will update as I go along. Subsequent entries will blog the main points of the resources I'm reviewing. I'll be sure to tag all related posts "minority services."

Keywords and limiters for the literature review:
  • minority OR Asian/African/Black//Vietnamese/Latino/Mexican American OR immigrant
  • AND
  • services OR outreach OR program(s)/programming
  • AND 
  • librar*
  • 2000 - present (cause this is current trends in)
if anyone has any suggestions for what I might be missing, such as GBLT services. I'm all ears.

Bibliography (Articles)

Burke, S.K. (2008). Use of public libraries by immigrants. Reference & User Services Quarterly, (48)2, 164-174.

Bibliography (Books)
Smallwood, C., & Becnel, K. (2013). Library services for multicultural patrons : strategies to encourage library use. Lanham: The Scarecrow Press, Inc.

List of Associations

No comments: