Wednesday, December 19, 2012

App Reviews

I started out with Wired Magazine's App Guide ($11). Love it and I have a goal to try at least one app from every section for the Android. However, Wired's Guide doesn't have any children's games/apps. I remembered that the School Library Journal reviews apps and technology, so I stole the most recent print copy from the children's librarians at my branch (Oct 2012) and I'll be listing the ones that I'd like to try below. Online, the column name is "Touch and Go" and is archived under the Blogs and Columns link

I also eavesdropped on a conversation two children's librarians were having regarding the Scholastic Warehouse sale they had attended. So I attended it and picked up a flyer for storia , the e-reader for Scholastic Books which comes with 5 free books and which received an editor's choice award from Children's Technology Review. CTR participates in a few awards presented at the yearly Consumer Electronics Show and the annual Bologna Children’s Book Fair(!), so, I think I've finally found my resources.

Book Apps I wish to check out in the future:
Other Apps to Check out
Tech to check out
  • https://www.remind101.com/learn_more
  • http://www.codecademy.com/ JavaScript coding for kids
  • (and while I'm at it, be sure to look at SLJ's 2012 top 10 tech for School libraries)

No comments: