Friday, September 21, 2012

What I've Read This Week

I think I'm going to take a page from Nick Hornby's title and just start putting down what I picked up and what I read and what I may intend to read.

Read
  • Blue Heaven by C. J. Box- I picked this up on the recommendation of a patron who is a fan and who thought we were crazy not to have purchased any new titles by that author. (As it turns out, we purchase everything by this author, they're just all checked out b/c my patron is not the only fan.) After I helped my patron by placing some hold requests for the newest Box we have in the collection, I walked over and pulled this one off the shelf. I fully intending to read it RA style, but after reading the random middle chapter, being with even more new characters and discovering the writing was really decent, even good, I decided to just read the whole book.

    Pretty straight plot with good cops, bad cops, kids witnessing murders and a little bit of redemption. There's no real character development, but they're all human and fairly realistic nonetheless. If you're looking for something to while away the plane ride or wait in the doctor's office or if you're visiting family and would rather read than talk to them, well you can't go too wrong with this book which won't hurt your brain and give a fairly satisfying showdown ending.

  • Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues by Glenn Eichler and Joe Infurnari. Hilarious! If you like graphic novels, enjoyed the movie Office Space or just like dogs, this is a good, easy, fast read to have some laughs before or after the daily grind.

  • Darth Vader and Son by Jeffrey Brown is going to be a classic must read for any Gen Xer who grew up quoting the original Star Wars and now has kids. I laughed my way through it, giving myself a great ab workout. The pictures are excellent and I can just hear Vader's voice as he says to 4yr old Luke, "I find your lack of patience disturbing."

No comments: