Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Steve Blow for Senior Social Hour at the NMLS

first, I just want to say, "Wow!"

Backstory
This is my first week at work at the new job. I had a "touching base" chat with my supervisor who shared with me the needs of the Central branch in anticipation of the possibility of me being permanently assigned here. One of those needs was the adult programmer whose duties include programming for senior social hour. I'll admit, I was a little scared at the prospect, but then I was requested to shadow the upcoming program with speaker Steve Blow of the Dallas Morning News. My supervisor even suggested I stay for the duration, which to me is an incredible investment in a new person to allow them to observe a program instead of returning to the reference desk for more reference desk training.

And I am so glad I did stay. One of my fears about returning to my hometown is I didn't know if I'd fit in because I thought I'd changed so much. But as I'm meeting people, finding new places (like the Generator Coffee House) and seeing places I grew up in changed (I think for the better), I'm starting to think I may fit in here after all.

And that brings me to our speaker...
After his talk, Mr. Blow hung around to chat with the audience and I got to swap a few words with him. He mentioned being glad that he could connect with the audience based on the shared experience of his stories and asked if I got anything out of it. I told him he totally brought me back with his reference to the two key pieces of literature in his household- the King James Bible ("because we wanted to read Jesus' words in his original old English") and the Reader's Digest.

I was delighted to be reminded about this aspect of Texas culture (which was so mundane as to be literally forgettable), and especially to learn that it wasn't just my household. But Mr. Blow used that connection of everybody reading the RD to segue to his talk and to capture his audience with his little "digests" of characters he'd met along his career path.

In case you get the chance to hear him speak, I won't ruin Mr. Blow's talk about chasing happiness, forgiveness being a gift to yourself or how kindness brings its rewards by detailing his sketches. But I do want to reflect on the "institutional knowledge" the Senior group has by virtue of their years. Mr. Blow woke them  (and me) up to it when he said, "I'm sure 100% of you know this ad jingle, 'Winston tastes good...'"

and the Seniors responded in a snap, "like a cigarette should."

Just being reminded of Texas culture through the speaker, being brought back to the kindness, the civility and respect Texans have, and being shown the jewel the Senior group is and how the library serves them through the monthly Social Hour... well, it was really fantastic.

For more information on what's going on at Garland's library, see the Events and Programming Page.

No comments: