Saturday, April 4, 2015

Building a Catalog!

I got approval to build the catalog for a small non-profit! Yay! The web developer for the non-profit gave me a subdomain to do all my fun, which means that I can install plugins to my heart's content and explore what is best.

I'm building out a few other pages, such as bibliographies and galleries of their content. Which meant that I needed access to the backend of their main domain to discover their content because the website is an organizational mess.

I'm using WordPress and the Web Librarian plugin for catalog creation. I'm using WorldCat for the bibliographical information of text items. After I've imported a lot of records, I need to see what the search capabilities are and whether there is an ability to create a thesaurus. At the moment, I'm not sure there is- certainly a list of keywords/subject in alphabetical order, but a thesaurus with relationships, which is key to discovery, that's what I think is missing within the features and so the question will be whether I can create something.

Maybe create a form using custom post types of:

Keyword
definition
RT
NT
BT

and then somehow tie them to the catalog entry form...

But YAY! having fun, fun, fun!

No comments: