Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Creating a Catalog using WordPress

I want to create a catalog.

I want to learn what it takes to be able to search a collection based on things like creator name and format or the language of the resource.

I want to create a thesaurus of terms with lists of preferred terms and broader terms and I want to see how to bend technology that is accessible to all to create this hierarchical list so that a person can browse through the thesaurus.

In short, I'd like to see if WordPress can actually make a catalog. There are some hints along the way such as the plugins WebLibrarian and Custom Post Type UI. But I'm wondering if I can use the plugin to add the content (in my case, a list of resources with their associated metadata that is searchable) and I'm wondering if I can create the thesaurus, let people search/browse through the thesaurus to find the term they are looking for, or to discover all the terms that could mean more or less the same thing and then find everything in the collection based on that term. How do the two interact with each other technology wise... in WordPress?

I submitted a proposal... just waiting to hear back if the non-profit I want to do this for will allow me to mad genius up their website.

wish me luck.

No comments: