Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Montessori Storytime: a Seed Grew!

There was a boy who attended the Montessori School where I volunteered storytime last summer who sat there with a grumbly grimace throughout my one hour "productions." He refused to do any of the songs, the rhymes, the body motion activities. Just sat there and if I asked him a question, woe to me with his monotone, monosyllabic responses.

The other day I was entering the school to retrieve my son as Mr. Grumpy Grump and his family were exiting. He stops me to ask if I'll be doing storytime again next year. I looked at him, weary of his reaction and said, "why not?" expecting there to be a very emphatic, "aww, maaaaannnn" and a roll of the eyes.

I was stunned to watch him jump up and down, pumping his fist in the air, and exclaiming, "yes!" It put a big grin on my face and made me determined to provide better storytimes. A seed grew, in both of us.

Here are some themes I've come up with based on books my son and I have read lately:
  • Cooking/Building Theme
    • Books: Rubia and the Three Osos 
    • Activity: What can we mix that doesn't need baking? or a building theme (boxes with my "nails" for hammering? Building something out of cardboard?)
  • Adventures and Storytelling Theme
    • Book: Clever Jack Takes the Cake
    • Activity: circle up and whisper a sentence in the ear of one of the kids and have them send it round, what ends up being told?), maybe a pick your own adventure type story?
    • Craft: can we do a group build of Clever Jack's story on a large piece of butcher paper?
  • Art Theme
    • Books: Warthogs Paint, David's Drawings and maybe one of those artists for little kids books, 
    • Activity- Joy of Zentangle lesson (prep the boards, have a space for the kids to write their names) or Ed Emberley's fingerprint drawing book
  • Fire Theme
    • Books: Fire Fuego Bravo Bomberos, Fire Engines Up Close (non-fiction), Munsch's the Fire Station (can get TumbleCloud to do? Yes, with wifi hub!!!)
    • Activity: do exercises that a real fire fighter must do.  
    • Craft: Paper Cup Fireman Puppet http://www.pinterest.com/pin/111323422010198421/ OR firetruck craft: http://onemomfiveboys.blogspot.com/2009/09/firetruck-craft.html

2 comments:

Superbrarian said...

Note: Crankee Doodle by Tom Angleberger/ Cece Bell is a huge hit with my son and would be a good, fun book for laughs and to talk about silly songs and where they come from.

Superbrarian said...

If you'll be doing this a second year in a row, it might be worth it to look into learning some professional techniques. Here's a link to the International Storyteller's Network and a profile to Puerto Rican storyteller:
http://www.cuentacuentos.eu/narradores/miembros/puertorico/TereMarichal.htm