Tuesday, July 16, 2013

InfoPeople Core2: Business Resources: Occupational Info

So you wanna job?

As I have tons of experience looking for jobs (I used to move around... a lot), applying to jobs, writing resumes and cover letters, and even a little bit in interviewing, I feel pretty comfortable with answering questions in this area. My library also gets a lot of questions about this area, so I have directed the users to the resources that we have in our database.

Resume Writing - it totally helps to have a coach, and thank God for my AmeriCorps trainer Jodi who taught us how to translate our service experience into applicable skills. Barring a personal trainer, the library I work for offers Career Transitions and JobNow, two databases that assist with creating the resume. One of them even provides real personal feedback. New resume books are always coming out, so be sure to look up the latest one in the catalog. There might even be targeted advice, such as for "women, recent grads, career changers or specific fields."

Online Resources
Info about Jobs and Industries
  • Researching the field begins with the ever delightful Occupational Outlook Handbook available online and in print. I love this book. I love that it has info on how much you can expect to earn, the growth of the industry, the type of education you need and so much more.
  • US Department of Labor and it's Wage and Hour Division page
  • O*NET Online - use this site for more research into the field you are looking to join. (These sites are sites I would encourage high schoolers and college student to explore to learn more about the actual job market and the skills they'll need beyond the liberal arts degree. (Which I like, don't get me wrong!))
Actually Searching for a J-O-B? There are several job hunting sites such as Monster.com. I would recommend spending some time on them to learn about the titles of jobs and where there seems to be job hunters. It gives you an idea of geography. However, once you've learned a thing or two about skills needed and so forth, I recommend looking at associations, local and national, for leads in the fields. Identify the companies you'd like to work for and then apply to them. This helps you to focus on where and for whom you'd like to work. It shows you are interested in the organization and helps to prep you for the interview.

No comments: