Thursday, January 26, 2012

Web Design Journal: Linking Accounts and Getting Started

One thing my social media class will do for me is get me more active on my LinkedIn account, as well as using Twitter to make conversation. The first thing our professor had us do was embed our tweets in both the Facebook and the LinkedIn accounts, which I did with my original Twitter account. I'm not so keen having Twitter on Facebook as none of the people I hang out with on Facebook care about "information." However, I definitely see the advantage of syncing the tweets to LinkedIn as I want to use both to attest to my information expertise. (Update: I figured out how to direct my tweets to just a specific group of people on fb. And, I notice, it only displays my tweets, not the tweets of those I'm following.)

My original Twitter account is @superbrarian, but as my prof wants all of our pages to be consistently branded, and Facebook and LinkedIn both say (Lynnette) Angie Hernandez, I decided to create another username rather than change @superbrarian. Well that was a hassle. Two Twitter accounts cannot share the same email, so I then had to create a new email address. And then, because I didn't want to have to remember a whole new login and password (I already have one for work,one for school and two personal emails), I enabled my preferred email to access the new one. I also had to go into Twitter and revoke permissions for LinkedIn and Facebook, wait for those accounts to "realize" they no longer had access to the @superbrarian feed (which took a few hours), and then re-set up the Twitter app again for the new Twitter account. Phew! Lesson to take away: Decide first which accounts will talk to each other, then act.

Here's the kicker, though... Once this course is over, I'll want to revert to @superbrarian, as that's how I've branded my vanity URL. Argh!!!

No comments: