Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday Morning is a Time to Rest

I've been at the ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans for a few days now and my body still hasn't realized that going to bed at 12:30am is a bad thing. (It thinks it is just 10:30pm). What with the aerobic workout that is the Convention Center, I need more rest. Who thought it was a logistically good idea to place thematically related sessions back to back and on opposite ends of a 5 city block long building with three floors? I should have paid more attention to Connie Willis's short story, At the Rialto.

My partner back home keeps telling me I need to go see the sites, but today Sue Garner of Wikipedia will be speaking and I want to hear what she has to say to a profession of people who spent the better part of 5 years criticizing Wikipedia as "un-authoritative." (Which I think only raised the awareness of citing your sources among the "amateur" contributors and quickly became a non-issue.) If only librarians had thought of Wikipedia! But I think that has to do with the profession's opinion that we collect and organize, we do not create.

Anyhoo- I did find the NOMA and the Edgar Degas House and plan to make side trips either Monday or Tuesday before I leave. And I had GREAT Indian food (a dal, aloo gobi, naan and basmati rice) at Salt and Pepper which has a mix for vegetarians and omnivores.

No comments: