Tuesday, June 12, 2012

so I want to be a Readers' Advisory Librarian (wait... I do?)

I just had an interview for a Reference Librarian position in my home town. Who knew that you needed to be able to recommend books to adult readers for the job!?! Well, my home town library appears to cater to a bunch of readers because there's a reader's group (Page Turners), and I was point blank asked why I like adult reference (this was hard to answer because I like people reference- no matter their age, gender, or color), and about my reading habits, (what genre I preferred and what areas of non-fiction which I am "familiar").

Well, I realized that this was an area for growth, because I was flabbergasted. You want to know what I read? I read everything, but only if it is well written. And my tolerance for popular fiction, especially series tends to be very low (as in one book out of a 12 book series low). However, this discovery of where I need to improve has made me realize that I need to be able to talk about books and "recommend" them, but that I don't need to like them. So what are the resources out there besides Novelist?

  • First thing to look at might be the catalog of books offer by your library's vendor. In the case of SPL- Baker & Taylor, which would be FC: Forecast
  • Library Journal's Reviews
  • Bookmarks Magazine
  • ALA's Booklist
  • ALA bookstore also has a list of Readers' Advisory books (for historical fic, for street lit, etc)
  • and finally (at least for this list) the New York Time's Book Review
This would be for Adult RA, because a job description's duty expectations should never be crossed. But I don't believe that.

No comments: